The Social Worker will provide services as part of the Mobile Mental Health & Addictions initiative to individuals living with mental health and addictions. The format of services include: initial and ongoing screening and assessment, treatment planning and ongoing adjustments as required, outreach, referral and integration of required services, advocacy, potential conjoint family services, group counselling, and collaboration with other service providers. Community based position in four different communities throughout the Region including Niagara on the Lake, Pelham, Ridgeway and Wainfleet. This position is held in partnership with CASON.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Entry Services
- Collect information in enough detail to determine the client’s immediate needs and to provide direction for the next step.
- Intake: contact with a person to determine if eligible for agency services, to complete the intake form and orient the client to services available at agency and process.
- Screening and Assessment
- Conduct a standardized screening and assessment session (if required), using approved documents.
- Determine the client’s specific needs, goals, characteristics, problems and stage of change through motivational interviewing, mutual investigation or exploration.
- Provide clients with information about: the links between their problems and substance use/gambling, addictions treatment services and other community resources to address presenting issues and to initiate the treatment planning process by providing motivational feedback.
Initial Treatment Planning
- Negotiate individualized treatment plans, based on feedback from the screening and/or assessment results, the client’s strengths, prioritized problem areas, clinical judgement, client’s preference and readiness to change, and identification of potential barriers to treatment entry.
- Develop a clear plan of action; including client’s identified goals, treatment interventions, specific referral as appropriate, duration and frequency of on-going services.
- Community Treatment
- Conduct individual or group counselling sessions, the frequency and length of sessions may vary depending on the client’s needs and program format.
- Maximize clients’ participation in treatment, community services and events and actively promote self-efficacy,
- Counselling includes brief intervention, lifestyle and personal counselling to assist individuals to develop skills to manage substance abuse and/or gambling and related problems, and/or maintain and enhance treatment goals.
- Community treatment services also include activities such as early intervention, relapse prevention, crisis intervention, family counselling, follow-up and aftercare.
- Outreach Services
- Provide services within an understanding of the context of oppression, poverty and diversity.
- Model and encourage engagement in all domains of service.
- Facilitate individual and group counselling sessions, relapse prevention, crisis intervention and family counselling in a setting most comfortable for the client.
- Client Liaison/Advocacy
- Intervene on client’s behalf, as requested or indicated, with other agency staff or other community services.
- Inform clients of office policies and grievance procedures when applicable.
- Maintain a professional counselling relationship between the client and counsellor.
- Maintain a complete, accurate and comprehensive clinical record of each client contact.
- Report statistics about clinical activities using designated agency format.
- Complete monthly, annual and other reported documentation as required in a punctual and comprehensive manner.
- Maintain client files according to agency policy and procedures.
- Team and Organizational Responsibilities
- Liaises with community partners and other agencies in a manner that promotes the agency’s reputation and facilitates quality care for shared clients
- Participates in agency work delegated to committees related to staff development, program planning, social activities, community information, etc.,
- Shares information and constructive observations with colleagues that promote clinical and administrative activities of the agency, including peer review and consultation,
- Commitment to research investigations, pilot projects, etc. that may be undertaken by the agency.
- Helps ensures the organization and program objectives are met.
- Participates in public education, placement student mentoring, professional development activities, program development, planning groups, etc., as appropriate or assigned.
- Demonstrates interest in the broad field of health care and the specific fields of substance abuse, problem gambling, concurrent disorders, and supportive housing.
- Works harmoniously with colleagues, including not behaving in ways that are likely to be offensive in any manner to others and confronting such behaviours by others.
- Conducts self in a responsible, professional manner.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- S.W., M.A.;
- Registered as a Social Worker with the College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers or Registered with the College of Psychotherapists;
- 2 years clinical experience
- Experience and / or training in evidence-based therapeutic interventions in assessments, individual, family and group therapy, and brief solution focused treatment;
- Demonstrated ability to work co-operatively with a range of clients and negotiate effectively within a multi-disciplinary team of service providers;
- Bilingual in (French and English) is preferred;
- Experience working with the Aboriginal community is an asset;
- Good communication and organizational skills;
- A current Police Records Check within the last six (6) months;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, able to supply own vehicle, and be insurable to drive in Ontario
- Position will operate out of Virgil and Wainfleet area however will operate out of Branscombe initially, subject to change
- Incumbent will be required to travel on a daily basis providing services throughout rural communities within the Niagara Region.
- In writing with your resume to email@example.com with “SW/RT 2 – CASON” in the subject line
- Interviews will be scheduled as soon as possible after closing date
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted
- Position will remain posted until vacancy is filled